Wednesday, December 12, 2012

BIG BABY, SMALL MOMMA


We had another ultrasound and OB consult today.  Priya is measuring 3 weeks ahead and is growing in the 96%.  My amniotic fluid is at a worrisome level, excessive.  My cervix is still closed, but a tiny bit shorter, 2.4 cm.  I have been having what I thought were normal Braxton Hicks contractions, but the OB thinks I am having them due to all the pressure I have from the amnioitc fluid.  They are painless contractions every 2 minutes.  So, tomorrow I start taking a drug that is supposed to help my uterus relax and hopefully cause Priya to have less urine output to decrease the amniotic fluid. The only problem is that I can only take this for approximately two more weeks, otherwise it could cause problems with her ductus arteriosis.  So, things might get crazy after 27 weeks if things go back to the current status quo.

We also met with the neonatologist, who was awesome.  She did paint what I feel to be a more realistic picture of what we can expect after Priya is born.  The information was pretty overwhelming.  No one wants to hear about IVs, intubations, various therapies/interventions, PICC lines, prolonged medical stays and all the medical stuff associated with possible complications.  She was encouraging, yet up front about obstacles with prematurity, omphaloceles, and BWS--all scary to me.  The neonatologist is also the first person to seriously refer to C-section, which is what I have just assumed would be what would happen in the end.  All the other docs have just kept telling me a vaginal delivery is always best, and if baby gets too big, then we will discuss cutting her out then.  I kept thinking, IF she gets too big?  Look at me!  Look at baby!  BWS!!!  I told the neonatologist that no one would discuss it much with me yet, and she just looked at me with a serious look and said, "You WILL be having a c-section."  The goal for now is to make it to at least 34 weeks, and every week after that is a huge bonus for baby.

We ended the day with a tour of the NICU, and for some reason, this is where I had my meltdown after digesting all the info the neonatologist gave us.  It was brief though. I figure those NICU nurses will see plenty of that in the days to come, so I didn't let it bother me too much. 

Mike is being a trooper, but I know he is really stressed about everything.  There is so much out of our control, so many unknowns, and so many things to think about.  It will be especially hard on him if I have to quit work and go on bedrest.  So, fingers crossed, lets hope that doesn't happen ANY time soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment