Tuesday, October 2, 2012

MATERNAL FETAL MEDICINE APPOINTMENT


I went to see the high risk OB today, and she said it is still too difficult to tell for sure if baby has a true omphalocele or gastroschesis. They didn't utilize 3D if they had it, though, and I have seen the defect on 3D at work, and I am pretty sure it is an omphalocele.  I would be shocked but oh so happy if I was wrong (much less to worry about with gastroschesis).  She also said not to take too much stock in the results of the MaterniT21 test, because baby could have a type of mosaicism of one of those chromosomal abnormalities, where cells within the same person can have a different genetic makeup (abnormal and normal).  She said an amnio will be more informative.  I wish someone would have told me that BEFORE I took the blood test, as it is quite expensive.   There is still a pretty good chunk of it that insurance doesn't pay for.  Live and learn, I guess.   

She also tried to explain what I might be able to expect with possible outcomes upon delivery if we make it that far.  It was pretty overwhelming, so I will be glad to take Mike to my amnio appointment so he can maybe keep up better than I did. 

So, not much information today.  Next step, amniocentesis on Monday, October 15th.  Results usually take 10 business days.

Feeling kind of bummy today.  I feel like I am back at square one with no real info on our little girl.  It's all a wait-and-see type of thing.  My sister called me to give me a pep talk; it did help.

No comments:

Post a Comment