Tuesday, April 30, 2013

MY BEST FRIEND, JOE


Who knew that one day my best friend would be Joe?  I am having a cup RIGHT NOW!  My sweet little Priya didn't go to sleep until 1:00 a.m. this morning.  Then she got up at 3 something and 5 something am....and I am not sure when my day actually began...1 am?  3 am? 6 am?  9 am?  I am such a tired momma today!

I have officially become THAT woman!  You know the one...the one in the cartoon drawings...the one with the messy hair in the curlers, bags under her eyes, and wearing her robe all day.  I am THAT woman!  There is a group of Jehovah Witness ladies that keep sporadically stopping by my doorstep during the day to drop off fliers, and they always come on the days when I had a rough night, get up late, and am wearing my robe to the door at 10:30 a.m. or noon.  But, these ladies are smart, because two stay in the car and two come to the door, and the one that always does the talking is an elderly woman, maybe in her 70's.  She of course talks about something we have in common, babies (she has had and raised three, so she knows something about them).  I like her...can't help it, so I haven't told her to please stop coming.  I don't engage in much conversation but smile politely and accept her fliers, because I am standing at the door, hair a mess, robe on, bags under my eyes, and holding my sweet baby who has suddenly decided sleep is good (during daylight hours at least).  Part of me likes seeing her just because she is a likable old lady and reminds me a little of living in my late teens/early 20's when I went door-to-door as a conservative young Adventist Christian.  The other part of me wishes I had the courage to be honest and tell her I am not reading her tracts (I am actually wasting her time).  I empathize with what these ladies are out there trying to do, sharing a message about something/Someone they love, hoping that I will see God the way they see Him.  I do "see" God.  I don't see God the way they do.  I do appreciate that they have the best of intentions, though, and so I will probably seem them again in a couple weeks when they show up to my doorstep again, unannounced.  Hopefully my hair will be done and I will have my clothes and a fresh face on when they stop by.


No comments:

Post a Comment