Wednesday, April 24, 2013

THE CUSS WORD THAT STARTS WITH A "G"



I have a new cuss word, and it starts with a G.  I hate the G-tube!  There is something called granulation tissue that is supposed to be part of the body's healing process, but it's NOT a good thing when you have a G-tube.  It causes the stoma site to ooze this yellowish to yellow-greenish goo and bleed.  Priya's body seems to be really good at creating granulation tissue, so her g-tube site tends to ooze quite a bit, which leads to skin irritation under her dressings, despite multiple changes a day.  We had to get granulation tissue burned off with silver nitrate today.  This is the second time since she has been home that I've had to take her to do it. Today, the nurse told me I can buy something called alum powder and mix it with water to make a paste and basically take care of it myself at home.  It does the same thing as silver nitrate.  She gave me a different kind of dressing to use called Mepilex, so hopefully that will help. I also found a site where I can buy bamboo G-tube covers online.  The covers are made by a pediatric RN who fosters children with G-tubes and has good experience with what works and what does not.  Supposedly, bamboo is more absorbant than gauze and cotton and therefore decreases irritation and growth of granualtion tissue.  I hope the covers come soon, as I am anxious to try them!  It is an added bonus that they can be ordered with cute designs on them...much more interesting than gauze and Mepilex, AND they are reusable, so they are green too! 

Priya is growing well; she weighed in at 9lb 11oz today!  Mike was off today, so he went with us to the surgeon's appt., and then we went out to lunch and gelato afterwards.  Priya slept through it all, giving her mom and dad some one-on-one time.  It was an enjoyable day...except for the G-#*@!




No comments:

Post a Comment